Sunday April 28, 2019
Smith's Food and Drug
GUIDED AUTO TOUR OF SAN MARCIAL
Meet and Depart from Smith’s parking lot Sunday at 10:00 a.m.
This is a special guided auto tour of San Marcial led by SCHS Board members
Paul Harden, Hannah Browley and Dr. Peggy Hardman. Bring your own car; a high clearance vehicle recommended on the San Marcial dirt roads.
Some of the stops along the auto tour:
1) Confederate monument of the Battle at Valverde
2) Overlook of the battlefield with brief description of the 1862 battle
3) Solitary grave of Mary Featherston and the story
4) The San Marcial Masonic cemetery
5) A few ruins of San Marcial and remnants of the San Marcial dairy
6) Heart of the townsite and location of the depot and Harvey House
7) Visit the remnants of the San Marcial roundhouse and turntable
8) The 1881 built Santa Fe Railroad bridge across the Rio Grande at the foot of
Mesa del Contadero (Black Mesa) – beginning of the Jornada del Muerto
Plus, a couple of interesting historical spots on the way down to San Marcial
Estimated time on the tour is about 4 hours. Bring a lunch, snacks and drinks.
$15 per person, SCHS members; for 3 or more people in a car – $40 per car
$20 per person, non-SCHS members; for 3 or more people in a car – $50 per car
Pay at time of departure (cash or check only, please).
RSVP or if any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
The number of cars on the tour is limited, so please let us know if you’d like to join the tour or “thinking about it.” A tour map with information will be sent to participants.
If you do not have a suitable vehicle, there may be some available seats. Please inquire.